Thursday, May 14, 2009

I wish Bob Marley taught at the Con...


So this week, I've been practicing extensively for my sophomore qualifying voice examination for my vocal performance degree in the Conservatory. As I was practicing, I became very tired of the pieces I was singing. It seemed like I had no motivation to sing the pieces, nor was I truly thinking about what I was trying to portray both musically and affectually. I then thought about Bob Marley and the Rastafarian ideals. Bob Marley was such a huge influence for Rastafari. His music and what he was singing about as well as the ideals he stood for (freedom, etc.) is able to move an entire body of people. The Bob Marley craze and the community of followers of his music is very religion-esque. This both inspired me to practice in a different way, but also motivate me to move an audience through the musical ideas expressed in the music I sing and perform.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I think I would have died (in a good way) if I showed up freshman year and Bob Marley was our theory teacher. Second, its cool that something as far removed as reggae music can inspire classical vocal performance (music is strong of a force). And third, I think you should do a baroque arrangement of "No Woman, No Cry" on your jury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this type of music should be part of our World Music series, or at least studied as a musical genre, especially because of its ties to a religious movement! This is a type of music that many of us may listen to on a regular basis but probably don't study in an academic setting. I think this would be a great addition to a class or concert series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Best studio ever.
    2. I second what Mark said.
    3. That is a great point. I'm glad you are able to take what Marley tries to bring across in his music, and apply it to your own situation. Along with Marley's ideals, religious beliefs, and musical style, I definitely think his art was meant to be interpreted in various ways by people with different aspirations and goals. I think he would have appreciated and respected your analysis of the effect his music has as a religous view. Good luck on your qualifying!

    ReplyDelete