Tuesday, April 21, 2009

God...armor and battle helmet included?




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfZnWVoqZ8


So when I read Psalm 18, the overall theme of sinners who do not repent eventually being punished is clearly present in this psalm. It is very interesting when the psalm describes God as "letting loose His arrows and scattered them, lightning bolts shot, and He panicked them (Psalms 55)." In reference to the question being asked....yes, this is terrifying. This psalm is describing the power that God has, however, there is another underlying message that I think may be a bit more pressing. Along with the Sparticus-esque God being portrayed, the psalm also describes the speaker as having God be a foundation in order to "battle" evildoers. The psalm states "and who the Rock except our God? The God who girds me with might and keeps my way blameless, makes my legs like gazelle's, and stands me on the heights, and trains my hands for comba, makes my arms bend a bow of bronze. You gave me your shield of rescue (Psalms 57)." I'm sure people during the time that the Psalms were written most likely interpreted the physical fighting for what they believed was just. However, if you asked someone today how they would interpret the psalm, the answer may be a bit different. In order for religion to be applicable to today's society, one may approach this psalm more metaphorically. For example, maybe the God that throughs lightning bolts and makes the Earth shake is merely a representation of power. Maybe having the earth shake and God battling is a representation of how a person may feel without God. These are not my view points, I'm merely looking at this from as many view points as possible. And referring back to God being someone's "Rock" in battle, could be viewed as having God as a foundation in order to make decisions in life that will lead a person to Heaven (again not necessarily my opinion, just another way to look at things).

1 comment:

  1. hey Zach, first of all -- amazing job in the show tonight... it was so wonderfully intense and I loved it!

    and for religious studies lol, i really enjoyed your post. Right when your page came up, I loved the picture that I saw. Not only is 300 a great movie but it also fits very interestingly well with some of the view points in the psalms. Great reference!! :)

    ReplyDelete