Thursday, April 30, 2009

The "Good Word"?



So yeah...I really enjoy this video a lot, it really makes me laugh. Although this is funny, it does hold relevance to what I'm going to talk about in this blog. I find that, in my Christian experience, that many people hold the "Good Word" to a law-like standard. People may say "Well if the Bible says it so, then it is..." you know stuff like that. I don't think that to be true. I think the Bible can show some great insight to situations and maybe shed light on some situations that are tough to deal with. I do not view the Bible as the road map of my life though. We as people who share in the human experience must make our own life, share in our own experiences, and make our own mistakes. I believe that my God is there to help me through when I'm in need, but I ultimately make my own decisions and take my own consequences. Everyone eventually rises to victory and/or falls to defeat. God comes in when I am not sure whether or not I want to "join the battle". I am my own responsibility and I earn what I deserve in life. I am Christian and I believe that one day I will go heaven. That being said I am responsible for me own being and my own character to make sure that that goal is reached. The "Good Word" does not dictate my life, it merely offers advice (some of it good and some of it bad).

2 comments:

  1. I am glad some other people see the bible as more of a moral guide than a strict rule book. Regardless of a person's beliefs the bible holds some good messages. I think people need to focus on the good morals over the little nuances that some people make such a big deal about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was pretty funny.. I think this was also a good personal statement about how to understand religious claims and authority..

    ReplyDelete